Taxi driver killed in Scarborough shooting had driven in Toronto for 40 years

Toronto police have identified the taxi driver who was shot and killed on the job Sunday evening.

Christopher Jung, 73, of Toronto had driven a cab in the city for 40 years, according to Kristine Hubbard, operations manager at Beck Taxi.

He was “a hard-working man who had a family,” Hubbard said in an interview with the Star, adding that his death “strikes the heart of so many thousands of people.”

Officers received calls that a cab driver had crashed into a fence in the area of Pharmacy and Eglinton Avenue around 8:49 p.m. When they arrived, they found the driver unresponsive with gunshot wounds.

He was pronounced dead in hospital.

Hubbard said police may be combing through footage from the cab’s interior camera, explaining that every taxi in the city has a mandatory recorder.

“The hope is the images captured from that camera will lead to a quick arrest or at least answers into what exactly happened in or around that vehicle,” Hubbard said.

“I want to offer my condolences to his family. This is a commitment that is taken by the entire family when someone does this job. Taxi drivers are vulnerable people,” she said, adding that the risks drivers face are even higher at night.

Jung was one of four men killed in fatal shootings in the city over the weekend; a total of eight separate shootings were reported.

Shortly after midnight on Saturday, 28-year-old Kamal Daley was shot and killed at a strip mall on Jane Street near Yorkwoods Gate.

Around 2:20 a.m., police responded to a call for another shooting on Eglinton Avenue West that took the life of 36-year old Donald Leroy (Smokey) Marson.

Later that afternoon, a man was shot in the parking lot of a plaza near Highway 401 and Weston Road. The man, who was pronounced dead at the scene, has been identified as 24-year-old Mathio Youkhanna of Toronto.

Police also reported several non-fatal shootings Sunday.

Around 3 a.m., a teenage male was brought to a trauma centre with serious injuries after being shot in his car near Martin Grove and Dixie Road. Around 5 a.m., a woman made her way to hospital with non-life-threatening but serious gunshot wounds. A few hours later around 7:45 a.m., another man was rushed to the hospital after being found seriously injured with gunshot wounds near Eglinton Avenue West and Oakwood Avenue. Finally, just over an hour before the taxi driver was killed, another shooting in Cabbagetown left a male victim with serious gunshot injuries. He was rushed to hospital.

“Our Toronto police officers and homicide investigators have been working long hours to solve the recent homicides we’ve seen in our city,” interim police chief, James Ramer, said on Twitter. “All are dedicated to bringing justice to those who have been impacted by these tragedies.”

Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button