Just a month ago, Microsoft released the first 64-bit version of Visual Studio. Since then, it already received three updates to address issues identified by Microsoft and the community. Recently the company released the third update which changed the version to 17.0.3.
The latest version of Visual Studio 2022 addresses bidirectional text control character rendering issue, and few other important fixes. Continue reading further to know more.
Issues addressed in Visual Studio 2022 version 17.0.3
To prevent a potentially malicious exploit that allows code to be misrepresented, the Visual Studio editor will no longer allow bidirectional text control characters to manipulate the order of characters on the editing surface. A new option will cause these bidirectional text control characters to be shown with placeholders. The bidirectional text control characters will still be present in the code as this behavior only impacts what is rendered in the code editor.
This functionality is controlled in Tools > Options. Under the Text Editor > General page there is an option for “
Show bidirectional text control characters”, which will be checked by default. When checked, all bidirectional text control characters will be rendered as placeholders. Unchecking the option will revert to the previous behavior where these characters are not rendered.
A Unicode character is considered a bidirectional text control character if it falls into any of the following ranges:
Apart from this, Microsoft fixed the following issues in Visual Studio 2022 version 17.0.3:
- Fixed a crash in the Web Forms Designer.
- Fixed an issue where CSS completion for !important would insert text at the wrong location in HTML or Razor files.
- Fixed a regression with Xamarin.Forms XAML Hot Reload conflicting with libraries that shared similar dependencies, such as SignalR. Xamarin.Forms XAML Hot Reload should now be able to interoperate no matter what is loaded in your application.
- Fixed an issue where Project Overview Pages, Diagnostic Tools or Performance Profiler windows would sometimes be blank.
- Fixed an issue in razor file editing where the cursor would sometimes jump to a different location mid-typing.