India

‘Recruitment or death’: Paramilitary aspirants march to Delhi

Hundreds of paramilitary aspirants arrived in Agra on Friday on their way to Delhi to demand recruitment. The aspirants are on a march from Maharashtra’s Nagpur to Delhi where they will stage a protest at Jantar Mantar on July 25.

They are demanding the government launch a recruitment drive to fill the vacant positions in the paramilitary forces.

The contingent of aspirants arrived in Agra on the 44th day of their journey at 7:30 am, shouting ‘Sarkar Vardi De Ya Arthi’. The contingent was welcomed in Agra by Congress workers and locals who showered them with flowers.

Congress state secretary Amit Singh said the BJP-led government’s adamant attitude has landed the country in such a mess that there is no money and no jobs. “The youth of this country are very disappointed with the Modi government,” said Singh.

ALSO READ | Either withdraw Agnipath scheme or send it to parliamentary committee, Opposition tells Centre

ASPIRANTS SPEAK

Vishal Langde, who is leading the march of paramilitary aspirants, told India Today that they have passed the written exam for recruitment in the paramilitary forces, and have even given the medical exam, but despite there being vacant positions, they have not been issued their joining letters. He added that they tried everything to obtain the letters but to no avail.

He said that they had previously held a year-long protest in Delhi with a 72-day hunger strike. After that, they also held a protest at the Samvidhan Chowk in Nagpur, and now they are walking to Delhi. “If the government does not give us jobs, it should give us death,” said Langde.

Landge added that they had requested Union Home Minister Amit Shah to fill the vacant positions in the paramilitary forces. He said several of the marching aspirants have fallen ill in the heat but there has been no change in the government’s stance.

Rupali, one of the leaders of the female contingent, said that there were a total of 200 aspirants participating in the march, including 170 boys and 30 girls. She said that their protest will continue till their demands are met.

Vishal Mahto, said that they had passed the written exams and completed their medical test. “There is no reason for the government to delay the joining letters other than the possibility that it wanted to fill these positions with ‘Agniveer-like’ contract soldiers instead of giving us permanent jobs to continue serving the country till our old age,” said Mahto.

A senior paramilitary official told India Today on the condition of anonymity that the central government had issued a recruitment notice for 60,120 constables in paramilitary forces in 2018. The selection process was conducted and 55,912 candidates were recruited, but the remaining 4000 positions have not been filled to date, forcing the aspirants to launch protests for the past 16 months.

— ENDS —


Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button