Box Office Results: Avatar 2 Becomes No. 4 All-Time Worldwide
James Cameron’s Avatar: The Way of Water continued its box office reign, accounting for $15.7 million (-22%) to bring its domestic total to $620.5 million after seven weeks. Per Deadline, Avatar 2’s seven-week run at No. 1 ties it with the original Avatar and the 1981 Oscar-winning drama On Golden Pond.
Regarding all-time grosses, Avatar 2 sits at No. 11 after flying past Star Wars: The Last Jedi. The pic still has a ways to go to surpass Top Gun: Maverick’s $718 million domestic total, but who is foolish enough to say anything negative about Cameron’s film at this point?
Worldwide, The Way of Water has leaped to No. 4, meaning Cameron is now responsible for three of the top-grossing films of all time — Avatar ($2.899B), Titanic ($2.207B), and Avatar 2 ($2.116B). That’s insane.
Avatar 2 has accrued $239M on Imax and is now the format’s biggest first-run grosser, and broke records on the CJ 4DPlex where it has amassed $85M worldwide to date.
The domestic box office chart mostly remained the same as last week. Puss in Boots: The Last Wish continues to thrive, earning another $10.6 million ($140 million total), and is $8.4 million from surpassing the original Puss in Boots’ $149.2 million domestic run. A Man Called Otto came in at No. 3 with $6.75 million and now has $46 million to its name. M3GAN made $6.37 million in its fourth week, bringing its total to $82.2 million.
After a heap of Oscar nominations, Everything Everywhere All at Once and Women Talking scored another $1.014 million and $1.013 million. At the same time, award nominations gave Steven Spielberg’s The Fabelmans ($760K/$16M total), Banshees of Inisherin ($353K/$9.8M), TÁR ($173K/$6.1M), and Elvis ($152K/$151.1M) some extra cash.
DOMESTIC TOP 10
- Avatar: The Way of Water (Dis) 3,600 (-190) theaters Fri $3.57M (-24%), 3-day $15.7M (-22%), Total $620.5M/Wk
- Puss in Boots 2 (Uni) 3,452 (-159) theaters Fri $2.4 (-13%), Sat $4.99M, Sun $3.19M, 3-day $10.6M (-10%), Total $140.8M/Wk 6
- A Man Called Otto (Sony) 3,957 (+155) theaters, Fri $1.95M, Sat $3.1M, Sun $1.6M, 3-day $6.75M (-23%), Total $46M, Wk 5
- M3GAN (Uni/Blum) 3,416 (-212) theaters, Fri $1.64M (-38%), Sat $3.05M, Sun $1.68M, 3-day $6.37M (-34%), Total $82.2M/Wk 4
- Pathaan (Yash) 694 theaters, Fri $1.858M, Sat $2.86M Sun $1.2M 3-day $5.95M, Total $8.5M/Wk 1
- Missing (Sony) 3,025 theaters Fri $1.55M (-54%), Sat $2.7M Sun $1.4M 3-day $5.675M (-38%), Total $17.5M/Wk 2
- Plane (LG) Fri $1.06M (-32%), Sat $1.88M, Sun $873k, 3-day $3.8M (-28%), Total $25.3M/Wk 3
- Left Behind: Rise of the Architect (FATH) 1,362 theaters, Fri $1.3M, Sat $948K, Sun $712K, 3-day $2.97M/Wk 1
- Infinity Pool (NEON) 1,835 theaters Fri $1.1M, Sat $910K, Sun $685K, 3-day $2.72M/Wk 1
- Wandering Earth II (Well) 142 theaters, Fri $372K, Sat $625K, Sun $358K, 3-day $1.355M, Total $3M (with previews)/Wk 1